Thursday, March 13, 2014

Record Music Streams the Right Way

So there is this really sweet application called Replay Music that I ran into back in 2007.  It allows you to record Internet Music Streams while you are doing other stuff on the computer.  So I decided to buy it, or actually they had a promotion to get a Premium Rhapsody Service and get the software for free.  I say it lets you record the streams, or radio, while doing other stuff because it won't pick up audio from other applications, like WindowsXP sounds or Youtube videos.  I got a ton of music from rhapsody radio this way.  It literally filled up my 60 gig hard drive to the point I thought it was time to reinstall Windows.  It automatically split the audio up into proper tracks and labeled them using Acoustic Tagging. 

I decided I wanted to make something similar for Linux.  I run Ubuntu and saw they were having an app contest for the new Ubuntu Software Center Store.  So I thought this would be a great app to enter.  I had done research on how to do this for the 6 previous months.  Its really just a hack of Pulseaudio and SoX command line.  The app took me 2 weeks to code and test.  I never had experience making a Gui application with C++ before.  Or any C++ application that was beyond a unit converter.  That was about as advanced as college intro to C++ was.  So what I came up with lets you hit a record button with a specific application targeted for recording.  It will record from that application and nothing else.  It will split the recording up into tracks and for now if you want to tag them you will have to use a third party application.  I am looking into a way to build this into the app reEarCandy.  I got a few sales but for no known reason the app got taken down from the store.  So I am open sourcing this and you can send me money if you would like to.  ;)  I have had this work for Firefox, Flash, and Spotify even though Spotify no longer wants you to legally record from them.  You might be able to get this to work with windows if you play around with the source and setup Pulseaudio right.  Check back here for a download of reEarCandy and its Source.  We will see who gets audio tagging done first me or you. 

Here are the links from Replay Music and my reEarCandy.
http://applian.com/replay-music/
https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/re-ear-candy/

No comments:

Post a Comment